Saturday 16 April 2016

The Tale of Three Hatboxes ....

or The Shame of Kaye......

This week for Friday Frolics and FNSI, I thought that I should investigate my three hatboxes - I knew that I had some crafty projects in them but what they actually were, was anyone's guess!


These hatboxes sit as a stack at the top of the spiral staircase which leads to my bedroom.  I think that I have had them somewhere between 25 and 30 years - in the mid-80s these were all the rage as decorating items.
Of course, where they sit means that I pass them by several times a day but do I ever look in them?  No, not really, not until yesterday, that is.

So, do you want to see what I found?

I am sure that you do, as it was a treasure trove of UFOs - to my great shame (and delight, too).

So, the top Hatbox....

contained Flying Geese quilt blocks...



Oh, my goodness - looks at these gorgeous flying geese blocks for a quilt I was making many moons ago - there are quite a few of them, I actually think I have made all of the blocks - I just need to sew the sashing, put it all together and then I would have a quilt top!  
Okay, another project for my semi-retirment.

The Middle Hatbox.....


Hmm! Some patchwork fabbie but what is hiding underneath it?  Oh no, another half completed quilt top!


Oh, my goodness, I can see lots of patchwork and quilting happening for me in the near future!

Bottom Hatbox......
This is the largest hatbox and had the biggest amount of bounty UFOs.

Oooh, Goodie, the patterns for the two quilts above - phew!


But below these patterns is a wealth of UFOs!
(unfortunately some of them seem to have their patterns missing - probably carefully stored hiding someplace special)

(pattern)

(no pattern)

(no pattern)

(pattern)

(no pattern)

(no pattern and I have absolutely no idea what this could be!)


(no pattern)


This is all finished - just needs to be made into a pillow.

Here it is all ironed - it is so pretty - why on earth did I not finish it at the time?




 But the piece de resistance is this unfinished bell pull, which shows significant places in Denmark (now, the coincidence if this is that only the other day I recorded a movie on Foxtel to watch later, "A Royal affair", which was about the Danish royal family in the 1770s - so naturally I stitched on the bell pull whilst watching the film yesterday).









 

... so some progress has been made ...


I will keep stitching on it tomorrow as well and report back after IHSW.

So, that is my Tale of the Three Hatboxes or The Shame of Kaye but whichever title, lots of Friday Frolics projects for me to work on in the upcoming weeks.

So, that is all from me for now,

hugs, 

23 comments:

Ariadne said...

Why don't you try finishing all those first?They have little work and they will be immediate finishes!AriadnefromGreece!

Amy said...

A treasure trove!! 😀 Those are some great finds!

The second stitchy UFO looks like a freebie from Lavender and Lace. You can find the pattern online! ☺

Margaret said...

I'm behind on my blog reading, but what fun posts you've been having! First, all the lovely TV stitching you've been doing, with Outlander and Game of Thrones, plus your framed Faeire Queene! Love the pics of your kitties -- such sweeties! And the hatboxes! Nice! I have the same sort of things -- and when you find them, it's good when you find the patterns and supplies as well. So frustrating to not be able to find those!

Vickie said...

I agree with Amy. I am quite sure I recognize it and it is so beautiful. Wow! You have enough to keep you busy all year here with all this!!!

Brigitte said...

Wow, you have three treasure chest in your home and you didn't even know it. You don't need Aladin's cave, do you? But you must have been oohing and aahing over all the wonderful treasures you found in these boxes. Great that you could just pick one of them up and continue stitching on it.
I think, Amy is right, it looks like one of these freebies Lavender & Lace was offering for many years.

butterfly said...

Wonderful goodies in the box's I have a bag of Wips with no charts But I know they are in my house some where , so maybe I should start hunting for them this summer , they must be in the craft room.
If you can't find your chart ask if any one can help you in blog land.

Heather said...

Lol nice discovery! It looks like the Santa stocking is almost finished too as well as the Valentine piece. Finding hidden treasures is always fun!

Daniela Bencúrová said...

So these are treasures! Dear Kaye, you have a lot of work! This should be completed at least something that you have designs :-)))

Linda said...

Oh what awesome hidden treasures you have discovered Kaye. I do hope you find the missing charts. I love the sea one and the bell pull you are working on is gorgeous.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a wonderful treasure trove of UFOs!
The freebie is the 1994 Madonna from Lavender & Lace as the others guessed.
http://www.tiag.com/otherproducts/1994preview.html
and here is my finish of her:
http://comehappydancewithme.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/lavender-and-lace-1994-angel.html

Bea said...

Woo hoo, treasure! Such a lucky find since you had so few other pieces to work on (snicker). Good luck finding the patterns that are missing. Love the bellpull - I have a Norway one I'm going to do for my craft partner who is very proud of her Norwegian heritage.

Barb said...

That's what I call a treasure trove of goodies! Have fun with all those projects!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh what delightful treasures you have discovered! Look forward to seeing them all caught up. I hope you find the missing patterns x

Penny said...

I have a few hatboxes on a shelf in my closet but I know they aren't full of goodies like yours. Wow! - a treasure trove indeed! That bell pull is beautiful!

Mini said...

Wow you found a treasure in those hat boxes.I would love to see some finishes from these.

Karen's Korner said...

WOW such gorgeous contents in those boxes.

Stitching Noni said...

Oh my goodness... what an amazing find! See what happens when you put things into a safe place :o)
Love the bell pull... So many things nearly finished... lots of Friday night WIP's there I think!
Hugs xx

Sarah in Stitches said...

Wow, that's amazing! This is going to be so much fun. Can't wait to see those two quilts finished!

Frances said...

Wow! You really hit the jackpot with your own things!! I have a couple of hat boxes, and was thinking that it's probably time for them to go. However, they are empty. Many of your treasures are almost finished, so I'm guessing you will have them completed in no time! Can't wait to see what you do!

Unknown said...

This was a great read. I did try to recognize your WIPS with no patterns, to see if I maybe could help identify, but no luck. Your Little Pillow is so beautiful.

sunny said...

What a treasure trove! And to think you walked by it every day. Have fun with all your 'new' projects!!

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Wow what a treasure! I found that over the weekend I went through my craft projects... It's amazing how many I have!

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Wow what a treasure! I found that over the weekend I went through my craft projects... It's amazing how many I have!

Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop.....

  Hello my lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day....   ... and this means it is time again for the fabulous Valentine's Day Blog hop o...